Get USA Social Security Number

By | September 16, 2015
Get USA Social Security Number

USA Social Security Number

Does a non citizen need a USA Social Security Number. Unless you are a non citizen who wants to work in the United States, you probably don’t
need a Social Security number.
Generally, only non citizens authorized to work in the United States by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can get a Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report an person’s wages to the
government and to determine a person’s eligibility for Social Security benefits. We can’t assign you a Social Security number solely for you to be able to get a driver’s license or a service that requires a credit check. Although many companies, such as banks and credit companies, may ask for your Social Security number, to provide one if you don’t have one. How can I get a Social Security number and card.

There are two ways you can apply.

• You can apply in your home country before you come to the United States when filing an application for an immigrant visa with the U.S. Department of State. In almost all cases, if you apply for a Social Security number and card with your immigrant visa application, you don’t have to visit a Social Security office in the United States. (For more information.

• Complete an Application For A Social
Security Card.
• Collect at least two original documents
proving your identity, work-authorized
immigration status.
• Take your completed application and
original documents to your local Social
Security office. All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We also cannot accept a receipt showing you applied for the document. We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use your DHS work. permit as proof of both your identity and workauthorized immigration status. Your birth certificate or passport may serve as proof of
age. However, you must provide at least two separate documents. We will mail your number and card as soon as we have all of your information and haveverified your documents with the issuing offices.